[New in Korean] Kim Hye
简介"A Heart Wishing for Blessings"By Kim Hye-jinMoonji PublishingIn Kim Hye-jin's short story, "Mo ...
"A Heart Wishing for Blessings"
By Kim Hye-jin
In Kim Hye-jin's short story, "Mokhwa Mansion," protagonists Man-ok and Sun-mi share a complex relationship of landlord and tenant, finding themselves in equally precarious situations.
They look out for each other, extending neighborly assistance in the beginning. But when things get rough, Man-ok demands that Sun-mi vacate the house as soon as possible. Sun-mi resists and says she will live there until the end of the contract. Eight years of friendship begin to fade in the face of financial challenges.
"A Heart Wishing for Blessings" weaves together eight short stories delving into the concept of “home” in contemporary Korean society, marking Kim's third collection of short stories.
The author delicately portrays tales that could easily unfold in our own neighborhood, such as the deteriorating neighborhood, redevelopment project and people scouting neighborhoods for investments.
The home as an asset or commodity often overshadows its role as a space for living. The stories unfold traversing class, region, generations and gender, leading to conflicts and tensions.
The characters' experiences hint at many societal issues, including real estate scams, and challenges faced by unemployed youth and young adults who are dependent on their parents.
In the author's note, Kim reflects, "The houses I stayed in at different times in my life comforted, encouraged and shaped me -- and became a part of myself. … This book is not so much about homes but rather a narrative about the emotions surrounding them."
Her latest novel in translation, "Concerning My Daughter," (2022) translated by Jamie Chang, was recently adapted into a film and premiered at the Busan International Film Festival in October.
Hyundai Motor Group on Tuesday unveiled a more compact, integrated wheel system that frees up more r ...
The news of the death of artist Park Seo-bo at 92 years old on Saturday was met with an outpouring o ...
정부가 이스라엘로 급파한 공군 KC-330 시그너스를 타고 지난 14일 성남 서울공항에 도착한 시민들이 수송기에서 내리고 있다. 전민규 기자이스라엘 체류 한국인 163명(장기 체류 ...
- Trilateral cooperation unaffected by US election outcomes: Goldberg
- S. Korea joins ICRC's major donor group for 1st time
- Unwind with Korea food, lifestyle docs on Netflix
- Enhypen announces Nov. 17 comeback with 'Orange Blood'
- Hillstate Gayang flats in Daejeon to go on sale
- Choo calls for end to protectionism, supply chain recovery during G20 meeting
Music industry seeks solution to ticket scalping through public discussion
Returning minister Yu In
S. Korea, UAE strike bilateral free trade agreement
S. Korea joins ICRC's major donor group for 1st time
Hyundai’s ‘Uni Wheel’ system gives more room for different car designs
New book sheds light on ongoing debate and legacy of comfort women issues
- Multicultural educator Min Byoung
- JYP to 'take K
- JYP to 'take K
- SK On to furlough workers, cut production at US plant
- Business groups condemn labor union immunity bill
- JYP to 'take K
- Red Velvet returns with conceptual, dramatized studio album
- UNESCO HQ hit by largest
- Seoul Metropolitan Traditional Orchestra meets electronic beats
- British interdisciplinary artist Jane Benson turns literary texts into art
- 홍준표 "난 죄 지은 것 없다, 인요한 사면 논의 자체가 쪽팔려"
- SK hynix logs quarterly losses for 4th consecutive quarter
- McDonald's Korea to increase prices of 13 items next week
- [KH Explains] A look back on Lee Jae
- 탄약 찾는 러…국방부 "北컨테이너 적재량, 포탄 수십만발 분량"
- 김웅 "이준석 사면은 내부총질·해당행위…마녀재판 맞았던 것"
- Meta fails to provide communication channel in Korea: lawmaker
- Cirque Du Soleil mesmerizes Seoul with 'Luzia: A Waking Dream of Mexico'
- Sumi Jo awarded Geumgwan Order, highest honor for artists
- Seoul expected to be one of most sought
- 유엔 대북제재위 "北 가상화폐 탈취 2조3000억, 이전보다 3배"
- Argentinian politician's old tweet mocking BTS angers fans
- Italian architect Franco Mancuso donates archives on Korean Pavilion at Venice Biennale
- Han Kang's novel shortlisted for 2 prestigious French awards
- SK Pharmteco bets big on cell, gene therapy
- Seoul shares open sharply lower on US losses
- Korean beef prices, poultry shares soar as cattle disease spreads
- Seoul International Pride Film Festival kicks off on Nov. 2
- [Life In Korea] Delivering 'taste of life' via street art