S. Korea keeping close tabs on reported repatriation of N.K. defectors from China: minister
简介South Korea's unification minister said Wednesday the government is closely looking into a medi ...
South Korea's unification minister said Wednesday the government is closely looking into a media report that China forcefully repatriated over 600 North Korean defectors earlier this week.
"We are keeping close tabs on the issue," Unification Minister Kim Yung-ho said during a parliamentary audit of the ministry in charge of inter-Korean affairs.
"We are continuing to verify the facts," he said, adding the ministry expressed its position on several occasions via diplomatic channels that China should not forcibly repatriate defectors."
A local media outlet reported earlier in the day that around 600 North Korean defectors detained in China were sent back to their reclusive home country Monday evening.
If the report proves true, it would mark China's first large-scale repatriation of North Korean refugees since Pyongyang recently opened its borders after three years and seven months of COVID-19 lockdowns.
Elizabeth Salmon, the U.N. special rapporteur for North Korea's human rights, has estimated that more than 2,000 North Korean defectors are currently detained in China. Concerns have grown over their fate, as North Korea has started to lift border closures. (Yonhap)
“This is not a campsite,” reads a banner that hangs prominently -- yet seemingly powerlessly -- in a ...
South Korea’s human rights commission on Tuesday called for the Korean government to abolish the dea ...
Seoul beckons local and global esports fans with esports-friendly attractions during the annual Leag ...
- School violence drops, drugs among teens surge: police
- [Photo News] AI, conventional painting come together
- Cheongju Craft Biennale stresses connection with nature, Jikji legacy
- [Weekender] Waiting on the North: Unified Korean dictionary project's long journey
- Volvo EX30 debuts in Korea
- BIFF expands award categories beyond Asian content to global titles
"조선의 샛별 여장군, 세계가 우러러 볼것"…北, 김주애도 우상화
'No Japan?' Korea swings from extreme rejection to selective embrace
US eases export controls on chip equipment for Samsung, SK factories in China
LG Electronics ups Q3 earnings guidance on upbeat demand
[Herald Interview] 'Korea strives to set global standards for data protection in generative AI era'
[Korean History] 2002, when Korea soared through World Cup
- Silversmith William Lee wins Craft Prize 2023
- Korea's yakgwa booming on back of ‘newtro’ trend, media coverage
- S. Korea to complete LSD vaccinations by early Nov.: ministry
- 4 North Koreans cross East Sea maritime border in first since 2019
- [Herald Interview] Saudi Arabia seeks to engage with world through Diriyah Contemporary Art Biennale
- The Boyz to return next month with new album
- FNC to debut new boy band Ampers&One on Nov. 15
- AleXa to perform on Jingle Ball Tour as 1st K
- Book records testimonies of bereaved families, survivors of Itaewon tragedy
- [Today’s K
- Halloween weekend sees 65 police calls
- 北 오죽 돈 없으면…유럽서도 방 뺀다, 주스페인 대사관 폐쇄
- ArtToken, KAIST sign MOU to cooperate in art, technology fields
- Korea to set workplace harassment criteria: minister
- KT, Telkom join hands for Indonesia smart city project
- HDC to spur digital innovation for efficiency, safety
- LG Energy Solution debuts new battery
- [Herald Review] ‘Zzz’ lulls audience to sleep through onstage performance
- [Today’s K
- Women’s stories continue to resonate with Korean viewers
- 홍준표 "서울 메가시티, 시대 역행…尹정책과도 안맞아"
- US lawmaker submits bill requiring Pentagon report on allies' defense contribution
- 협치 첫 단추 ‘현수막 난립방지법’ 소위 통과
- Weeekly invites listeners to enter universe where dreams come true
- NK closes embassy in Spain after shutting down 2 missions in Africa
- Rental fraudster’s ‘luxury life’ sparks anger
- Yoon donates W5m toward construction of memorial for ex
- Decoding Korea's 'virtuous' drinking culture
- 北 ‘환적지 이동’ 정황…석도 인근서 10월에만 10건 포착
- Subway car seats to be removed in two subway cars for more space: Seoul Metro