Another suspect of Tajik duo behind S. Korean money exchange robbery nabbed
简介One suspect from a Tajik duo, who allegedly robbed a money exchange store in Pyeongtaek, Gyeonggi Pr ...
One suspect from a Tajik duo, who allegedly robbed a money exchange store in Pyeongtaek, Gyeonggi Province, in late August, was arrested in Tajikistan after nearly a month on the run, South Korean police revealed Tuesday.
According to Pyeongtaek Police, the 34-year-old male suspect, whose name was withheld, was arrested in his home country by local authorities on Sept. 25. He was accused of stealing 85 million won ($62,800) in US and Korean bills from the exchange store at around noon on Aug. 30.
Wielding a prop gun, he and his accomplice threatened a 60-year-old female employee of the store, took the money and then fled from the site in a car.
The duo used a total of three vehicles, which included a stolen car, for their run.
The suspect fled to Tajikistan via Incheon Airport about four hours after the robbery with a reserved flight ticket. His accomplice, another 34-year-old Tajik, was arrested the next day on Aug. 31, at Incheon Airport by South Korean police.
The suspect, who was caught in Tajikistan, will be put to trial there as South Korea has yet to sign an extradition treaty with the central Asian country.
Pyeongtaek Police plan to cooperate with the Tajik authorities, sharing results of its investigation into the case.
The accomplice, nabbed in Korea, has already been sent for trial on charges of special robbery.
The Korean police said they will continue the investigation to track down three other Tajiks who allegedly assisted the duo’s escape.
President Yoon Suk Yeol on Tuesday ordered the Cabinet to look into possibilities of a cyberattack o ...
Korea’s only astronaut, Yi Soyeon, delivered a keynote speech Wednesday at The Korea Herald's H ...
Samsung SDI said Thursday it is poised to set up a second electric vehicle battery manufacturing pla ...
Hyundai Elevator, Erbud team up to rebuild Ukraine
USS Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier to arrive in Busan this week
N. Korea's Kim, Putin exchange congratulatory messages marking 75th anniversary of diplomatic ties
[HIT Forum] More than 400 attendees explore space at HIT forum
Hillstate Gayang flats in Daejeon to go on sale
The 2023 Seoul Fantastic Beer Festival
- Choo calls for end to protectionism, supply chain recovery during G20 meeting
- [Obituary] Park Seo
- BTS' V joined by Jimin in solo fan meeting 'Vicnic'
- HMM sale to face hurdles amid slowdown in shipping industry
- SK chief discusses ICT partnerships with Estonia, Carribean Community
- Posco Future M achieves 100% recycling of refractory waste
- Doosan Robotics to supply chicken
- 공군 수송기 급파, 한·일 220명 텔아비브 탈출
- S. Korea entering 'recovery phase' amid geopolitical uncertainties: Choo
- Key ruling party officials offer to resign over by
- 윤 대통령 “저보고 소통 부족하다 지적하는 분 많아 반성”
- Seoul shares end nearly 2% lower amid Middle East woes
- 北 방문 러 외무장관, 김정은과 만났다…"1시간 이상 대화"
- Lotte Cinema to screen NBA game
- Registration opens for offshore firms' FX trading
- LIG Nex1 seals global defense ties at Seoul ADEX 2023
- Japan preparing to bring back some 20 S. Koreans from Israel, along with its own nationals: reports
- 김기현 “지역·계층·세대별 민심 여과없이 대통령에 직접 전달”
- 한기호 "제주해군기지는 盧의 결실"…여‧야 모두 박수 보냈다
- Geonwonneung to open for public viewing in fall
- Chuu makes tearful solo debut with 'Howl'
- LG Energy Solution's new residential ESS to hit US market
- Hyundai, Kia team up with Infineon on EV power chips
- Strengthening Vietnam
- Posco International completes EV parts plant in Mexico
- [Herald Interview] Park Youn
- Coupang Play seeks turnaround with exclusive content
- Kingdom introduces last of its 7 kingdoms in 7th EP
- 김의겸 "김혜경 법카 유용 의혹, 그 정도 사안은 영장 못 쳐"
- Samsung Bioepis launches Soliris biosimilar in Europe