'Apgujeong Box Girl' sparks online debate
简介A woman walking around in a box in southern Seoul's popular Gangnam has sparked criticism onlin ...
A woman walking around in a box in southern Seoul's popular Gangnam has sparked criticism online.
On Friday, an online community posted a thread titled "Real-time Apgujeong Box Girl," showing pictures of a woman who appeared to be wearing only a cardboard box in Apgujeong-dong, Gangnam-gu. She could be seen guiding men's hands through holes on either side of the box, apparently to allow them to touch her breasts.
Responses to the thread varied widely. Some people responded with humor -- "This is why you must live in Seoul" -- and advocated for a more open sexual culture.
On the other hand, there was also criticism that the woman's performance constituted obscenity and the objectification of women.
The woman referred to as "Apgujeong Box Girl" was revealed to be a Korean adult video actor and model named Ain. Ain posted the photo to her Instagram, expressing gratitude for what she labeled the "Angel Box event."
Ain herself has called it a form of performance art, saying it was meant to challenge double standards in how male and female bodies are perceived in society in an interview with local media.
Ain also explained that she was encouraged by her agency's CEO, who suggested it as a way to challenge South Korea's conservative sexual culture for promotional purposes.
Previously in August, women wearing bikinis were detained by police in the Gangnam area for "excessive exposure" while on motorcycles. Their publicity stunt was said to be for a magazine promotion.
These instances of women publicly participating in sexually suggestive behavior for promotional purposes have raised concerns about excessive exposure and obscenity, sparking increased interest in the legal consequences of their actions.
Under Korean law, publicly exposing significant parts of one's body in a way that causes discomfort or embarrassment to others may constitute an excessive exposure offense. Violation can lead to fines of up to 100,000 won ($74), detention or disciplinary action.
South Korean liquor giant HiteJinro said Tuesday it is expanding its distribution network of soju pr ...
The United States and China agreed Friday to work towards setting up a meeting between the two count ...
Despite efforts being made by South Korean cattle farmers and the government to contain the outbreak ...
- YouTuber suspected of livestreaming after taking drugs
- Retail sales up 9.5 pct in Sept. on strong online demand
- Israel presses ground campaign against Hamas in 'second stage' of Gaza war
- [Korea Beyond Korea] Historian looks back at life dedicated to Korean studies
- Jeju's autonomy is model for Western Sahara: Morocco
- Over half of Koreans say they won't continue jesa: survey
- S. Korea expresses gratitude to Japan for assisting return of Koreans from war
- Four killed after fishing boat capsizes in S. Korea
- [Herald Interview] Kang Ik
- Seoul shares open lower on US losses
- EcoPro seeks big leap as global battery materials maker
- STX issues new shares worth W80b to expand global business
- Samsung unveils next
- Geopolitical risks hold back South Korea's credit rating upgrade:Fitch
- Japan returns favor, flies Koreans out of Israel
- [속보] 한국인 163명 이스라엘서 무사히 왔다…서울공항 도착
- Prospects of Yoon's formal meeting with Xi uncertain: Yoon's office
- Zepeto metaverse plans to support Apple Vision Pro
- Seoul to push through bill to ban dog meat consumption
- [Contribution] Korean food captivates global palates
- Culture Ministry offers Suneung takers free exhibitions, discounted performances
- Prosecutors seek 5
- Navigate flavors of the Mediterranean in Seoul
- Golf club's 'no Japanese car' policy sparks controversy
- Fire breaks out at SK On's plant during pilot run in China
- NCSoft to tear loose from Lineage: CEO
- [Herald Interview] ‘Battery expansion to prompt strong cobalt, lithium trading’
- US renews concerns over N. Korea
- [Today’s K
- 민주당 이상민 의원, 내주 與 혁신위와 대담…거취 정할지 주목
- S. Korean battery makers' R&D investment up 12.5% in Jan.
- N. Korea notifies Japan of plan to launch satellite between Wednesday and Dec. 1: report
- Enigmatic artist David Rappeneau's first Asia show taking place at Gladstone Gallery
- 인요한 “한동훈, 신선하고 합리적…총선 역할 결정된다면 좋은 일”
- [Herald Review] NCT 127 takes inspiration from ‘Matrix’ for 3rd tour