Samsung Electronics tips Q3 operating profit to plunge 78% on semiconductor losses
简介Samsung Electronics Co. predicted Wednesday its operating profit for the third quarter is likely to ...
Samsung Electronics Co. predicted Wednesday its operating profit for the third quarter is likely to drop 78 percent on year, as losses from its semiconductor business continued amid a global downturn of the chip industry.
The world's biggest maker of memory chips expected a third-quarter operating profit of 2.4 trillion won ($1.8 billion), down 77.9 percent from a year ago, Samsung Electronics said in a regulatory filing.
However, the expected operating profit was 30.5 percent higher than the average estimate, according to a survey by Yonhap Infomax, the financial data firm of Yonhap News Agency. The figure was nearly threefold bigger than that of the previous quarter.
Third-quarter sales are estimated to decline 12.7 percent to 67 trillion won, Samsung said, without providing its estimate for net income.
Samsung Electronics, also the world's biggest maker of smartphones, reported operating profits of 640.2 billion won and 668.5 billion won in the first and second quarters, respectively.
The company will release its final earnings report later.
Samsung did not release detailed performances of its key business divisions, but market watchers expect that its semiconductor unit, which oversees its cash cow chip business, incurred a loss of around 3 trillion won in the third quarter,
Analysts predicted that losses incurred in semiconductors were offset by strong performance by its mobile and display divisions, thanks to the launch of the company's new Galaxy Z Flip 5 and Fold 5 smartphone models. (Yonhap)
Hanwha Ocean is leading a government research project on defense and security technology for buildin ...
Igis Asset Management, the largest real estate asset manager in South Korea, has launched a secondar ...
아랍에미리트(UAE)를 국빈 방문 중인 윤석열 대통령이 지난 1월 17일(현지시간) 두바이 자빌궁에서 셰이크 무함마드 빈 라시드 알막툼 UAE 총리 겸 두바이 군주와 면담하고 있다 ...
- School violence drops, drugs among teens surge: police
- Conflict between Fifty Fifty and agency Attrakt continues to escalate
- Lightsum's new album ‘Honey or Spice’ tickles tastebuds
- Korean economy expected to grow by 2.1% in 2024: Hana Institute
- Seoul shares start lower ahead of key rate decision
- GS Caltex, Posco team up on biofuel
Hyundai Motor bolsters global partnerships through Expo campaign
Le Sserafim to release first English single 'Perfect Night'
[Herald Interview] Samuel Youn celebrates career in ‘From Darkness to Light’
야당, 김행 사퇴에 “사필귀정…사법적 판단 받아야”
Disability rights group lodges complaint with rights watchdog over leader's arrest
野 “與 보선 참패 후 이재명 전광석화 기소…국민 심판받을 것”
- Supreme Court dismisses Buseoksa's appeal in Bodhisattva statue ownership dispute
- Architect Dominique Perrault's 'Lightwalk' displayed at French Embassy in Seoul
- Han Kang's novel shortlisted for 2 prestigious French awards
- Hyundai Mobis Q3 net jumps 78% on sales growth of key components
- Prestige Biopharma eyes complete value chain
- [Life In Korea] Delivering 'taste of life' via street art
- Mirae Asset Securities names Kim Mi
- Samsung SDI logs record
- SK Innovation joins hands with Fiji for mangrove restoration
- Seoul shares open sharply lower on US losses
- Court finds ban on leafleting into NK unconstitutional, ban on praise for NK constitutional
- 4th Global Biz Forum kicks off to discuss 'next prosperity'
- Benois de la Danse winner Kang Mi
- Seoul shares tumble to 5
- 카메라 찍힌 김여정 960만원 '디올 백'…그 자체가 北인권 참상
- KB chief hopes successor transforms group into 'Samsung of finance'
- Govt. to survey spending on private education of preschoolers, Suneung retakers
- [Korea Beyond Korea] Early Koreanists on verge of extinction overseas
- 여당, 총선변수에 고심…“쇄신한 민주당과 대결 준비해야”
- Over half of Koreans want continuous strengthening of alliance with US: poll
- Milk prices to go up in Oct.
- Unification minister to visit Britain, Germany
- 러 무기 만져보고 타보고...김정은 '북·러 합작' 도발 메뉴 내놓나
- '코로나 봉쇄' 북한, 국경 열었다…3년8개월 만에 외국인 입국
- [Herald Interview] Song Joong
- LG chief convenes CEO meeting to review growth strategy
- Hyundai Motor may sell Russian plant to local firm
- Jakarta lights up in pink with SMTown Live 2023
- SKC to build bioplastics plant in Vietnam
- [Today’s K